Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Paolo Does Something In Focus!!!



Thank god, for once in a blue moon Paolo Roversi has finally shot something in focus! I love his style for the most part, but I do find the fact that he does the same thing over and over and over and over again tiresome. It's nice to see something a bit different here, in the form of this mostly sharp focus editorial (and out of studio no less!) for Vogue Italia. See the rest of it over at Calikartel.

This editorial does sort of bring up the point that most photographers end up getting pigeonholed -- boxed in so to speak -- to a very strict style. Paolo is extremely well known for his available light, blurry images but I wonder if he ever gets bored shooting basically the exact same way? I certainly would love to see him try something new, but I doubt that is really an option for him, especially at this stage of his career. I understand that clients, agents, etc have a hard time selling and purchasing work that doesn't all look exactly the same stylistically, but I do think there is a point where that becomes dull for the photographer and the viewer as well. If Paolo brought out the hard edged strobes for a shoot I for one would love to see the results!

No comments: